Friday, July 18, 2008

"Search or Discover"

I stumbled upon this older article (4/4/07) and thought it had a very interesting discussion on the way people access the various different types of Internet video. In the article, Aaron Goldman discusses the TV Guide Online Video search and the difference between those who search for content and those who discover. Goldman doesn't not afford an answer of which occurs more, but his brief article sheds some light on the ways in which people are accessing and using Internet videos.

Here's a link to the article - read it for yourself and tell me what you think.

"When It Comes to Video, Do Consumers Want To Search Or Discover?" by Aaron Goldman (Media Post Publications, April 4, 2007).

In my own searching and discovering I think that you cannot place these two verbs into separate corners. Maybe I'll be searching for something only to discover something else along the way which leads me to another search to find more like it.

Here's an example of what I mean: I was trying to figure find out more about David Wain for my previous post about MyDamnChannel.com. In so doing I found his homepage - the result of my search. But there I discovered something, he was on The State. I loved that show! I completely forgot that is where he began his career (or at least when I became familiar with him). So, I immediately opened another tab in my Firefox browser and went to YouTube.com to see if there were any clips from The State and there were - I was so happy to see some of the sketches again. Here are a few highlights. Although, my favorite sketch about Doug are nowhere to be found.

"The Teacher's Lounge"


"$240 worth of pudding - aw yeah!"


After watching a few of the clips on YouTube, I went back to The State's website and clicked around to find out that the episodes have been compiled onto DVD. There was a link for an article in Filter magazine about the group and how they began. Finally I saw a link pertaining to a movie called The Ten that the cast had starred in with other notable celebs including Jessica Alba called. After viewing the trailer I paused and noticed just how far off track I had gone from my original query about MyDamnChannel. So, again, I don't think you either search for or discover these videos. I think a lot of the time it is both!

No comments: